Saturday, July 16, 2011

What's in a Name?

Before BG McD was a B[aby], John and I decided that we wouldn't name our babies until they were born, until they were Earthside if you will. There are a few layers to this decision we have adamantly stood by. I later discovered that my longstanding fear of naming an unborn baby being bad luck is actually an Irish superstition... it's not just me, it's the entire history of Ireland that feels this way! It completely freaks me out when someone refers to their belly by a name... since I'm growing us a little girl minion, I also acknowledge that tiny chance that the ultrasound could be wrong. Doctors and technicians can confirm boy parts but will only "guess," at a girl gender. While I believe she's a little she, you can't guarantee. Before our ultrasound we both kind of sort of thought boy a little more than we thought girl... we were both *pleasantly* surprised. 

Before our anatomy scan, we had discussed potential names... we had two definite boy names we loved, one girl name I was in love with [and always have been], and we had selected middle names. We had many exclusionary criteria and scoured websites and books for ideas... we vetoed countless names the other suggested, and still weren't sure. My ideal plan was to have three names selected and when we meet the baby on her birthing day, we would choose the most fitting for her. Welllll maybe that plan will work with B McD #2 because after the ultrasound my kind, sweet, thoughtful husband and I went to Babies R Us and he bought me a large wooden letter for BG McD's door... the letter of the name I have always loved. Never have I known a more loving man. Yes, the letter is a secret, too. You can't know the letter. 

So we have the superstition factor... neither John nor I have even once called my bump by the name she will receive on her birthing day. She's Hiccup or BG McD. No one knows her name, so no one else can refer to my belly by name, in or out of my presence.

The other big reason we haven't shared BG McD's name... is two cents. EVERYONE has an opinion on names, and everyone has something to say about a name. Unless you name your child some random noun like a celebrity (think, Apple or Bronx Mowgli), then someone knows someone who made fun of them in the third grade or stole that promotion they deserved or stole their ice cream cone that summer back in childhood... or the heartthrob that got away, and your name selection is immediately unfitting, silly, terrible, or undesirable. By keeping our name unknown, we not only get to share in a secret between just the two of us, but we also haven't had to hear any reactions, positive or negative. Once she's here, the name has a personality, a face, it's hers, so once it's on the birth certificate, everyone can find out, and do nothing about it!

I thought a few people would be curious, but had no idea how nutty some would be about our decision. My mother regularly attempts to slip an inquiry into conversation. So I bought the baby a blanket today and there was this adorable little onesie at Kohl's and what's her name? ... Nice try, Grandma! My mother asked if she could. submit a list of names she doesn't like... I politely informed her that she can do whatever she wants, her name will be her name.  Grandma aside, I have had a few people make guesses (no one has guessed correctly, yet, but I wouldn't reveal either way!) and a few people ask if we've shared (nope!)... but this past week I experienced the pinnacle of name debates, at Target. in the checkout. This is how my conversation with the cashier went... 

Cashier: Aww do you know what you're having?
Me: A girl, in a few weeks.
Cashier: Do you have a name yet?
Me: Yep, it's a secret.We haven't told anyone.
Cashier: What is it?!
Me: A secret.
Cashier: I know but what is it? You can tell me, I don't even know you, I'll probably never see you again. 
Me: My mother doesn't even know, I'm not going to share it at my local Target. She'll get her name when she's born.
Cashier: C'mon, I'll never see your mom, or meet your baby!
Me: Then you don't need to know. *cue the awkward silence*

Craaaaazy people. I have also had awkward conversations about not sharing at Starbucks, at a counseling conference (you'd think counselors would be more respectful!), and in random elevators. Why is it that when you're doing something as divine as growing a child, everyone thinks it's their business?! People want to know where I'm delivering (are you going to show up in the waiting room?!), my exact due date (I have a due month, it's going on right now, thank you.), what her name will be, how much leave I'm taking, where will she go to daycare, you name it. Would you like to know where she'll apply to college, too? It's like that invasive airplane conversation where people put their guard down and share their life stories, pretending the person going to the same destination that you are is suddenly your new BFF. 

At the end of the day, BG McD will be here eventually (within the next five weeks!), and then she'll have a name... you can call her that name from then until... forever. But, it's hers. She gets to hear it first, on her birthing day, and John and I created her...so we'll get to call her by her name first. All the rest of y'all can wait. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment