Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Dear BG McD

Dear Little Hiccup,
Tomorrow we'll have made it to 37 weeks, congratulations to us!! Before you arrive and we're both busy getting to know each other on the outside, I want to write you a little letter... there are some things you should know and I don't want to forget them because I'm sure I'll be just speechless when we finally meet!

First of all, know you are loved, wanted, and very much longed for. Your Daddy and I dreamed of you before we got married, we prayed for you and have been eagerly awaiting your arrival. We decided it was time to add a baby to our family two years ago this August and I am confident that all that waiting and wishing and hoping was meant to be so that you would be our first baby. We went to doctors and hospitals and had all sorts of tests to make sure we were healthy and my body was ready to provide you everything you have needed the past 9 months. When we saw your little egg on November 9th, I prayed that you would become a little human McDonald and just a few weeks later, there was the positive test we'd been waiting for (on November 23rd). When my progesterone tests were low, I desperately prayed to the Lord that you would make it, that you'd be strong enough to hang in there, and I started medicine right away.  We had to wait until December 15th to find out if you were doing okay and seeing your tiny fluttering heartbeat was the best Christmas present anyone could ask for. The next few months were tough, I'm not going to lie! I was very sick all day everyday, it was no fun being sick but I tried my hardest to eat as healthy as possible for you and made sure to get all my vitamins everyday. Daddy and I discussed what you might be like, who you'll look like, how we want to decorate your nursery, and have just been excited to meet you for so long.

On March 8th we found out that you are a little girl, and our dreams became more specific and you seemed that much more real. You were quite funny and kept hiding from the ultrasound and turning away so the technician couldn't take all the pictures she wanted. You seemed to be more poky with your left hand and I wonder if you'll be a lefty like me. Your daddy was definitely excited but a little intimidated that you are a girl... he is already worrying about protecting you from the world- he'll continue to do that, as long as he lives, no matter how strong and fiesty I know you already are. We had several boy names we liked, Daddy wasn't so sure about girl's names, but I had one I just absolutely loved... after our ultrasound we went to start our baby registry at Babies R Us and your Daddy put a big white letter in the cart to go on your door.... it was the letter of the name I really wanted for you-- he's amazingly kind and loving that way. We have kept your name a secret from everyone and it's driving people nutty. Once you come Earthside, we will proudly announce you to the world... so soon!

We have done many things to prepare for you to have the healthiest 9 months in my belly and to prepare for your arrival. We found the best group of midwives in the state who I knew would give you and I the best care possible and support our desire for you to have a natural, peaceful, gentle birth. I have seen our chiropractor regularly to make sure my body is operating at it's best to support you, we took hypnobirthing classes with a fantastic instructor so I can relax well for you to do your thing on our birthing day. I've read tons of books and articles on how to stay as healthy as possible for you, to learn about what you're doing in my belly, and how I can help your first days and weeks be wonderful :-)   In March, I joined La Leche League so I could meet other mommies who breastfeed and we could start learning about how to get that off to a great start. Daddy completely re-did your room, transforming it from an ugly blue bedroom into the best nursery I have ever seen. We have wonderful friends who were very generous and your Grandma has completely spoiled all of us, so here at 37 weeks, we have everything we need to welcome you home.

This journey has not been without bumps... it took us a lot of work to get to the point where you were in my belly, and twice we have had scary moments where we were worried about your health. On April 16th, I spotted early in the morning while out running errands. Daddy rushed home faster than he ever has before and we went to UCONN hospital. I was scared and cried while waiting for him to get home and while waiting to find out if you were ok. You were just fine and my body was giving me a hard time- you actually kicked the ultrasound machine and kept turning away and hiding your pretty little face- again... so fiesty!  Our second scary day was June 20,. This time I waited a few hours until the morning to call our midwives because I really didn't like going to see strangers at the hospital. I was having contractions and again, you were fine. We had to go to the hospital across the street from the birth center and I had to get some tests done to make sure you weren't coming early (it was 34 weeks). Again, you were more bothered by the monitors than anything, I apologize for the headache they probably gave you!

I have been on bedrest since the end of that week... it's been tough to sit still but I have been resting for you to make sure you're as comfy as possible (and stay inside my belly!)... now we have reached 37 weeks and are ready to welcome you to our home, to our family, and introduce you to the world! We can't wait to teach you about being crunchy, being crafty, being tough... we can't wait to read to you and fall asleep with you in our arms. We can't wait to teach you about the environment and the wonderful world of New England. We can't wait to show you our favorite places to visit, like Boston and Washington, DC. We have some pretty great friends and family who are eager to meet you, too. I cannot forget to mention, we have three dogs in our family, and they all know you're in my belly but aren't sure how you'll get out- Jack, Smokey, and Molly are all going to love and protect you as soon as they meet you in person!

Whenever you're ready, we are ready for you. We love you so much and cannot wait to see who you look like, to hold you in our arms and give you hugs and kisses. We will do everything in our power to make sure your birthing day is as gentle as possible, it's a big day for all of us! I trust you and my body, I know you'll know what to do, and soon we'll be snuggling all together in our home. We love you, little Baby McDonald. We'll see you soon!

Love Always,
Your Crunchy Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment